Sunday, October 14, 2018

As for Me and My House...

Sipping my coffee in our new little office as a touch of colour signals the start of a new day, I am soaking in a moment of solitude (well, along with a thousand birds and a few crows in the distance). On the heels of Canadian thanksgiving, my mind has wandered to the many ways for which I am incredibly thankful.

Not the least is the recent move my family has made into our home for the next couple of years. As we pull out the dishes and unpack treasures safely tucked into bins over a year and a half ago, it’s an absolute delight. We have been dreaming of making our home here for many years now, and moving in is the last step of this process.

In spite of it's limited 850 sq.ft of living space, we have managed to find a place for (almost!) everything. We had the luxury of choosing very specific furniture to use the space well, including floor-to-ceiling shelving units and a triple bunk bed (with room for storage bins underneath, of course). I was feeling rather good about how all the children would fit snugly into one room, until I was chatting with one of the painters about it, and he replied with "they each get their own bed?"

I am daily reminded of the abundance we have come from. 


The cute front porch!
Actually, this is the identical adjoined duplex
because our porch is still a little chaotic.
As we set up this house, it's the first time in a decade of marriage we have a new set of dishes and pots and pans. It’s our first time owning a new couch, and having an actual bed frame under our mattress. These tangible gifts remind us of those who have generously provided to help us live and serve here, and as we sink into our couch at the end of the day, these “things” really do help us rest and prepare to continue the next day.


At the same time, my overwhelming gratitude is intermingled with the juxtaposition of having so very much in a country where the majority live so minimally. Although the contrast of what we have compared to those around us can make me uneasy, it also challenges me to be grateful while finding ways to give. It's an important reminder to daily appreciate what we are blessed with, and seek ways to live with our hands open to give freely.


Welcome! This is the view as we walk in the door..
The Burundian-made furniture and imported seating
make this main living space a cozy and
comfortable place to rest and host.


Oh man, you know what though? I still find myself falling into the old trap of comparison and discontentment. How can I be so grateful for what we have, feeling like we have more then we need, and the next moment be noticing or thinking of what we don't have? Even while living next to those for whom poverty and hardship are a daily part of life. How quick my attitude can change!

I wish I had some awesome solution to share on how to "fix" these tendencies. What I do know to be true is that gratefulness and generosity seem to be a good place to start in battling this selfish nature. And, in spite of the fact it is uncomfortable, I hope that tension remains (read: not the same as guilt!) and can motivate me to think and live differently.

And so it’s with thanksgiving and a healthy dose of tension that we place the coffee cups into cupboards and serving plates onto shelves, and ask God to show us how to best use them for His glory. 





By Julie

Featured Post

Surgery Helps...Girls Like Antoinette

"I am Antoinette...I am happy to thank you because I am healed. May Jesus bless you."  - Antoinette, 17 years old (see below for m...

Popular Posts